05 July 2012

Gut Check

Hello everyone.  It’s been three solid weeks since the Boise ice parade.  You may recall, at the end of that RR I mentioned having another entertaining blog idea that isn’t exactly race-related (sort of like when I made you all look at pictures of my minivan).  I haven’t really had the time to do that idea justice, so it’ll have to wait.  Actually, I haven’t really had the time for much, but I wanted to post something before the Rev3 race here in Portland this weekend.
For a variety of reasons, I am approaching this race with a bit more seriousness than is my custom.  Basically, to this point I’ve been pretty cavalier and open-minded when it comes to racing: just thrilled to be in the pro field and looking to enjoy the experience.  Assuredly, that attitude is still underlying, and I’m definitely looking for a good time.  But for this one – with a few races under my belt, and for reasons I will go into later – I feel a bit more dedicated.
Leading into it I’ve had a key thought for each discipline.  You could call them personal accountability goals – standards that I will absolutely hold myself to, even if nothing goes to plan on raceday.  Making such goals is an excellent tool for mental preparation and pre-race focusing, and not one I have employed much this year.  So in the absence of one of my typically informal, casually funny blog topics, I decided to share these thoughts instead.  I can, when necessary, be quite serious.  Fittingly, they are short and to the point:
1). Swim with honesty.  Come out fast, find a pack that’ll make you work for it, and do your best to hang on.  But if that pack doesn’t exist, and you find yourself swimming alone, keep the effort honest.
2). Ride with confidence.  At this point in the season, after all the miles, and all the races, the power is in the legs.  Ride like your run won’t be affected.  Be confident, keep the cadence high, and hammer.
…and most importantly…
3). Run with courage.  Don’t quit on the run before your feet even hit the pavement.  Start at goal pace and stick to it as long as you can, even if it’s only for a mile.  Don’t let mental weakness be the reason you don’t execute the run you know you have in you.  Go to the well on this one, or face an off-season of regret.
So bring on the toughest field I’ve faced all year.  Bring on the hilly-ass bike course and the pancake-flat run route that is going to be a sprint fest.  Hold yourself to your own standards and express your fitness perfectly.  If you do that, you can go home proud.
See you on the other side,
Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment