07 June 2013

Pre Boise / Pre-Pre Race Dinner / Post Wildflower / Nearly-Post Med School Year 1


Well, here I am.  I’m sitting at home, in Boise.  It’s Friday night, just about to sit down to another pre-race dinner.  Because somehow 5 weeks have flown by since Wildflower, and another race is upon me.  I haven’t called.  I haven’t written.  I haven’t even sent word via courier that I am still among the living.  Wildflower, as I have portrayed it, is a complete mystery.  Because I haven’t said two words about it.  (It was great – there’s three.  But more on that later.)  Readership has declined some, with recent polls showing that a perceived lack of effort and disregard for conscientious blogging are major turnoffs for most readers.  I got a haircut, and am sporting a totally different look.  But no one would know that, because I haven't divulged it.  This is what poor blogmanship looks like.  And I'm going to have to beg your collective forgiveness, hopefully for the last time.

But back to the main point, tomorrow is Boise 70.3… for which I could not be more excited!  I was thinking about it on the drive out from Portland.  Races are just so much freaking fun.  They represent an opportunity to go back out there and see where things are at.  On good days, you improve on past performances and feel good.  On hard days, you learn a lot and then have to wait awhile until you get a chance to race again.  Either way, it's a good deal.  So that's tomorrow.

"So it looks like he really attacked that short climb, which is
where his peak 2 minute power occurred."
Looking to the future, I have good news: only one week of school left!  I can hardly convey how excited I am for this break, and for summer to officially begin.  Good things are on the horizon.  Plans are still a bit fluid, as are most details, but one thing I know for certain – this blog is about to get a whole lot more active.  Active AND exciting.  These extreme periods of silence, when nobody really knows if I’m even alive, will be a thing of the past.  Ideally I’d like to be posting several times daily.  I’m basically going to be beating you all over the head with an endless stream of well-intentioned but sadly-misguided blog posts.  It’s not just going to be race reports.  Oh no.  I’m talking pre-race reports.  Then maybe some reports about the reports.  And on really good weeks, reports about the reports about the reports.  It will be a lot like the movie Inception, with three levels of dreaming, only the dreams will be about me continuing to struggle at triathlons.  There will also be daily training updates, complete with maps, heart rate data, power files, post-activity comments, playlist information, flora and fauna encountered, and stream-of-consciousness audio file narration.  I’d like to get a rotating picture field that scrolls through glorious images of exotic lands, impressive table spreads, inspiring artwork, and a quote of the day.  I might even try to get some sort of live-update feature that is constantly tracking the latest whereabouts of my dog Charlie and displaying it on the homepage.  If you have anything else you'd like to see give me a shout!

You never know where he'll go next.
That's it for now.  Look for a Wildflower AND a Boise race report in the next few weeks.  Carry-on.

No comments:

Post a Comment